Thursday, July 12, 2012

#1 Buen Camino!





Hi there, thanks for finding my new blog!  I am the owner of two other blogs, but they are written in Afrikaans.  For a long time I pondered the situation, but now I just started to discover the joy of Twitter. I am also finding new friends who do not understand the heavenly language of Afrikaans, normally the first language given in any list of languages on any computer program.

So here goes- a blog in English. But please remember, it is a second language, and it is not normally spoken in the Bushveld region of South Africa- it could be regarded as a totally foreign language around here. So please excuse all spelling mistakes, mixed up tenses, and general mistakes in the way a sentence should be put together.

A little bit about me:

I am a pastor of the Dutch Reformed Church, residing in the town of Nylstroom in the South African province of Limpopo. It can be found on a map about 130 km north of Pretoria.
I am happily married, and the father of 4 kids.

The title for this blog is stolen from John Bunyan- whose copy right fortunately expired 50 years after he expired.  Yes, I am a pilgrim.  This is meant in the Christian way- where both Peter and Paul said we are pilgrims in this world, traveling through. Also in the Old Testament we find the metaphor of pilgrimage to the worship of God in the temple in Jerusalem.

Life is a journey, both the Bible and Nissan South Africa advertises.  We are not there yet. But the journey is just as important as the destination.
So in this blog I intend to share some of the moments along the way of my journey as Christian, as pastor, as husband and father, as a Biker and a cyclist.

Yes, I also have another claim to the title Pilgrim- I completed a portion of 317 km of the Camino de Santiago in June 2011, and received my Campostelo.  The photos can be followed in my Afrikaans blog at ewaldschmidt@blogspot.com, at the CAmino de Santiago link on the right side of the post.  The photo above is a picture taken by autotimer alongside the river at Villafranca del Bierzo last year.

Thanks for visiting here, come again soon!

Ewald

No comments:

Post a Comment